Hey everyone!!! Hope that you’re all doing well….can you believe that it’s already February!?!?!?!? Man time is flying by!! Before you know it spring will be here and the season for household renovations and sprucing-up will be in effect.
Today I wanted to write a quick post and share another Chalk Paint DIY that I did a little while back. As most of you know, this past summer we did some home reno’s and I was on a DIY high and hashtagged myself as #handymandy. If you’re new to my blog or haven’t seen my Chalked Up post on how I upscaled some thrift store nightstand, be sure to check it out. But today in this post, I’m going to quickly share with you how I took our old wooden dining table and transformed it into a Restoration Hardware fakeout using nothing else but chalk paint!
Our old dining table had seen better days – with scratches, dings and ring marks all over, it was quite an eye-sore. I’d feel so embarrassed anytime we had company over and I was always trying to it cover up the top with mats, runners and different décor pieces.
We were contemplating buying a new table and chucking our old one out but we had a few issues. First of all I love the style of our table. It’s a pub-height table with 4 bar chairs and 2 benches that flank the ends. It can easily seat 8 people and is great for entertaining (hence all the dings). Secondly, anything that we did like was really expensive and I just couldn’t justify spending all of that money – especially with the fact that we use our table everyday and when you have a little one you want your investment to be both functional and practical.
So, I did what I do best …. DIY! I already had the chalk paint bug from when I re-did the nightstands, so I decided to tackle the beast and try to transform it. This concrete top RH dining table was my inspiration for this project.
Because the table was so large, it took me about 2 weeks to complete the entire project while Z was taking a nap or sleeping at night. I find painting at night very therapeutic and relaxing. I’d sit on the floor with my paintbrush and before I knew it, it would be past midnight!
Painting the table itself didn’t take long at all. I started by painting the top using Annie Sloan’s Graphite and did about 3 coats and let it dry overnight. The next day I worked on painting the legs using her French Linen paint. Because I wanted to go for a rustic grainy finish, I only applied a little bit of paint to my brush and then used a lint-free cloth to wipe away any excess product and I love the effect that it gave. I did a total of 2 coats and in less than 24 hours my table was almost done!
I then began to tackle the chairs………this took so much longer than what I had anticipated. Because the chairs had the rails and open backing it took twice as long to make sure I didn’t miss a rung. I used the same technique on the chairs as I did with the table legs by dry brushing French Linen and then wiping it off. (Don’t mind the slippers….didn’t realize that they were in the shot! :$)
Even though I wasn’t expecting this part to take this long, I’m glad that it did. It gave me the opportunity to really see how chalk paint works. In the beginning, I was washing my brush every night but found that the natural hairs from the brush began to fall out and get stuck to the chairs as I was painting them. So I started to place the brush in a ziplock bag at night without cleaning it and I found that it made a huge difference. I also did this if I was in a situation where someone stopped by and I would have to put the project on hold or Z would be up and I was unable to continue working.
Once the chairs were FINALLY done, I sealed everything using Annie Sloan’s Clear Soft Wax for the table legs and all of the chairs. Because I wanted the top of the table to be more durable, I ended up using General Finishes Top Coat in flat. The reason that I liked this product is because it’s not clear when it’s wet which makes it easier when applying. It ensures that you don’t miss a spot and also lets you see if you have any brush strokes or streaking.
I did a total of 4 coats of the top coat just to ensure that the table would stay protected. Instead of using a paintbrush, I used a large paint edger tool which I covered with a nylon to prevent any fibers from getting stuck on the table. I let the table dry 4-5 hours between coats and also changed the direction when I was painting. I first began by applying it lengthwise and then widthwise to minimize any streaking. (Picture taken after 2 coats).
And that’s how easy it is!! Ta-Da!!!! My RH fakeout!
Before and after shot:
I’m absolutely in love with the way that it turned out. We’ve actually had people come over and comment on how they love our ‘new table’ and they are floored when I tell them that it’s our old one that I gave a facelift to! Even though it was a little time consuming, it was totally worth saving the 4K. This entire project cost me under $150!!!
Like I’ve said before, you don’t need to break the bank to try and make things look nice. It just takes a little bit of patience and creativity. If you would like a more in depth tutorial on how to use chalk paint along with step-by-step instructions with pictures, be sure to check out my Chalked Up post.
Until next time, happy DIY’ing!